Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My family is growing

  My family is small and that has its good points and bad points, depending on who you talk to. My wife and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this year, that's right, she has put up with me for 25 years, in a row, and, I have two kids. My daughter is in her second year of college and my son works at the same place as I do, but in a different department. The four of us are quite close, we've always watched out for each other and my daughter being away at school, about six hours away, is as far away as any of us have lived from each other and that is still taking some adjustment on all our parts.
  But my small family is changing and growing. My son is getting married this year. He and his fiancée have been going out since high school and we think they make a pretty good couple.
  So my close knit little family had to let this young lady find her way into our house and hearts. And let me tell you, that's no easy task, at least the hearts part, our house is pretty easy to get into. We are a pretty wicked bunch, especially sitting around the dinner table. We have been known to be a bit competitive and nothing is off limits at the table. The music is usually on and in between verses being sung the barbs fly fast and furious.
  So this young lady comes to dinner and I'll be damned if she doesn't jump right in. Her and my daughter become best friends and she asks my daughter to be her maid of honor. This young lady managed to move right into our hearts, so, we gave her a key to the house.
  The other day one of my most favorite people in the world asked me if I'm ready to be a daddy-in-law. I never even thought about that. This young lady has endeared herself to me in such a way that the pending wedding is just like the next step, a natural step. I'm actually very excited and honored about gaining another daughter.
  My little family gained another member, my son is taking a wife, my daughter gets a sister and my wife and I get another daughter.
  I couldn't be prouder.

No comments:

Post a Comment